Monday, March 7, 2011

Language A- Snowman Poem

In Language A (English) our teacher Ms. Jeftic started a unit on "Writing Poems". We studied many different kinds of poems.
Kinds of Poems-
- Couplet- Two line stanzas that rhyme ( Look at the silly cat, sitting on a red mat)
- Onomatopoeia- Poetry in which words are used to make sounds (Ex- boom, bam, losh, shlish, paw etc.)
- Months Poetry- Couplets for every month (January is very cold, winter jackets are getting sold)
- Cinquain (First Line- 2 syllables, Second Line- 4 syllables, Third Line- 6 syllables, Fourth Line- 8 syllables, Fifth Line- 2 syllables)

Snowman Poem- This is a poem that I wrote
Its snowing,
the wind is blowing,
It blew off my hat,
while I was sitting on the mat.
I ran,ran,ran,
but I only felt a bam,
It hurt a lot,
but I found my hat in the pot,
It wasn't an empty pot,
it contained a lot!

The End!

I think that this unit was fun. I love writing and this was really my favorite unit until now! I hope that we will do it again! (And we will!)
What is poetry?-
Answer 1-(This is what people around the world say-http://www.answers.com/topic/poem)
- A verbal composition designed to convey experiences, ideas, or emotions in a vivid and imaginative way, characterized by the use of language chosen for its sound and suggestive power and by the use of literary techniques such as meter, metaphor, and rhyme.
Answer 2-(This is what I think a poem is)- I agree with what they say, but I also think that a poem is a way to express our self's, and for me a world of beauty.
Poetic devices? (What are they?)-
Answer 1- Alliteration - The repetition of initial consonant sounds.

Assonance - The repetition of vowel sounds.

Imagery - Words or phrases that appeal to any sense or any combination of senses.

Metaphor - A comparison between two objects with the intent of giving clearer meaning to one of them. Often forms of the "to be" verb are used, such as "is" or "was", to make the comparison.

Meter - The recurrence of a pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables.

Onomatopoeia - The use of words which imitate sound.

Personification - A figure of speech which endows inanimate objects with human traits or abilities.

Point-of-view - The author's point-of-view concentrates on the vantage point of the speaker, or "teller", of the story or poem.

* 1st person: the speaker is a character in the story or poem and tells it from his/her perspective (uses "I")
* 3rd person limited: the speaker is not part of the story, but tells about the other characters but limits information about what one character sees and feels.
* 3rd person omniscient: the speaker is not part of the story, but is able to "know" and describe what all characters are thinking.

Repetition - the repeating of words, phrases, lines, or stanzas.

Rhyme - The similarity of ending sounds existing between two words.

Rhyme scheme - The sequence in which the rhyme occurs. The first end sound is represented as the letter "a", the second is "b", etc.

Simile - A comparison between two objects using a specific word or comparison such as "like", "as", or "than".

Stanza - a grouping of two or more lines of a poem in terms of length, metrical form, or rhyme scheme.
Explain your poem- My poem is mostly about winter. It talks about the wind, how it blew off the hat, and then felt a bam..... I used the following Poetic Devices.

Poetic Devices that I used-
-Rhymes
-Onomatopoeia
-Rhythm
-Couplets
-Assonance
-Repetition


No comments:

Post a Comment